Goldsmith with a bouquet of lilacs. Craftsmen in the Lock
This is the fifth stop along the audio tour presenting the history of the Cathedral Island. For more information about the tour, please click here.
—
Listen:
1. The goldsmith working on the finishing touches on the domes of the cathedral towers was Wacław Pitak who owned a workshop in the Cathedral Lock. Cathedral Island in 1956. Photo by Zygmunt Ratajczak, Poznań Municipal Monument Conservator.
2. In the post-war years the old guardhouse (that is in the room with the horse trough) housed a locksmith’s workshop belonging to Wacław Pitak. The only door to the workshop was the outer door; there were no doors in the other walls. 2010, before the renovation work. Photo by Marcin Walkowiak.
3-4. Mr Ławniczak, who ran a foundry in the Cathedral Lock, was responsible for casting cathedral’s bronze doors (designed by a sculptor K. Bieńkowski, 1979). Photo by Bartosz Małolepszy.
5. Liturgical vessels at the Archdiocesan Museum. A young goldsmith Artur Lindner, who ran a workshop in the Cathedral Lock, cooperated with the Museum. Photo by Bartosz Małolepszy.
6. The Cathedral Lock before the renovation work (2010). On the right there is an extension, which used to be the house of the brush maker and cathedral house painter. The extension does not exist any more. Photo by Marcin Walkowiak.





