What a crowd!
You can see in front of you an over 400-year-old market! Look at the picture. Can you find:
- a Roman god Mercury, the patron of traders? You can recognise him by a winged hat and the large scales in his hand!
- bankers counting coins at the tables?
- merchants from the East wearing turbans on their heads?
- people writing on the bottom of a barrel?
- workers tying parcels?
- a dog?
- miners transporting iron for blacksmiths?
- a sinking ship in the harbour?
- people putting parcels on a cart?
Jost Amman, Alegoria handlu (1585) Źródło: British Museum
British Museum – click